Another Thanksgiving has come and gone here in America. And for another year, this great holiday where we are to be thankful for what God has provided us with has once again fallen into commercialization. Thanksgiving has devolved into the three F’s:
Food, Family, and Football
People flocked to places near and far to gather together with family members (along with a few friends) to prepare and enjoy a scrumptious feast consisting of one plate (or two, three, or sometimes four) plates of food. All of these food was enjoyed around a table with discussion of past times and catching up on everyone’s lives or around a television with a discussion on how crappy the Lions and Cowboys are. Everyone spent the day preparing the meal, traveling, or playing football before coming to eat. Some of these people had the misfortune of cutting their meals early so that they could work that evening or early the next day. Soon, everyone departed back to where they came from and life resumes. Rinse, lather, repeat
Very little time is spent on actually giving thanks, perhaps on a brief time of prayer before the food is served. Yet, we should be giving thanks to God EVERY DAY!
“And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”
Colossians 3:17 (NIV)
“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV)
The reality is that it is because of God’s will that we are alive and it is because of God’s will that we ever have the capability of giving thanks. I’ve taken the time to compile a brief list of things I am thankful for. This is not even close to a full and complete list nor is this list in any particular order.
- I’m thankful for being alive for over 27 years.
- I’m thankful for being alive with Jesus Christ for over 2 years.
- I’m thankful for God’s word which enables me to connect with Him everyday.
- I’m thankful for having a job that enables me to pay my bills.
- I’m thankful that I have bills that pay for services such as rent, electricity, gas, water and sewage, communications, student loans, etc.
- I’m thankful for having a family that loves me and cares about me, regardless of how often, or how little I keep in touch.
- I’m thankful for having a family of disciples who are willing to lift each other up and support each other in our times of weakness, strength, and everything in between.
- I’m thankful for having people come into my life over the years who were able to guide me in the right direction and support me in my times of need.
- I’m thankful for being able to live in the United States of America where we enjoy more freedom, peace, and tranquility and face far less hardship, turmoil, and persecution than in other places around the world, at least for now. And for being able to use the word ‘and’ three times in a sentence.
- I’m thankful for living in Pittsburgh. Because it’s not Cleveland.
- I’m thankful for having a platform to express my opinions and views.
That’s just the tip of the iceberg. If you have anything special you are thankful for, let God know and feel free to comment below.